State-based SP organizations
Maryland Progressive Healthcare Coalition https://www.facebook.com/MDPHcoalition/ (coalition partners listed at Facebook site)
Our Revolution, Maryland (http://ourrevolutionmd.com/) (Strong ally of the coalition)
Healthcare is a Human Right Maryland-- various chapters
National SP organizations
PNHP Maryland; National Nurses United, People’s Action, Public Citizen, Our Revolution, Social Security Works (all allies of the coalition. Many working on national bills rather than the state bills).
State-based SP bills
--2019: Healthy Maryland Act of 2019 (SB 871) Introduced by Senator Pinsky and 11 others 2/7/19 For a “comprehensive universal single-payer health care coverage program and a health care cost control system for the benefit of all residents of the state.”
--2019: Healthy Maryland Act of 2019 (HB 1087-sister to the Senate bill) Introduced by Delegates Barron, Acevero, Pena-Melnyk, and 29 others. 2/8/19
--(2018 Healthy Maryland Act of 2018, introduced by Senator Pinsky and 6 others; cross filed with HB1516 by Delegate Barron and 25 others)
Status: (not brought to a vote)
HB0378 bill to establish a Maryland state Office of Health Care Coverage which would develop a statewide Managed Care system available, introduced by Delegate Reznik and 9 others. (Note: this is not a SP plan.) http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/hb/hb0378f.pdf
Obstacles to state-based SP in the current context
- Legislative effort at state based single payer in MD has not gone forward
- Strong national groups in MD doing excellent work for national program but some actively discourage state-based initiative.
Advantages for SP in current context
- Strong coalition Maryland Progressive Healthcare Coalition, working at both state and national levels.
- State Delegate, Gabriel Acevero, poised to reintroduce Healthy Maryland Act next year. (Bills in general assembly several times since 2012 Maryland Health Security Act.)
- Strong single-payer legislative allies: Delegates Acevero and Pena-Melnyk. Important note: future possibility of single payer hearing in Pena-Melnyk’s health committee in Annapolis, MD.
- State senator Jill Carter, who like Cummings has a family legacy of fighting for social justice and is a strong advocate for SP, is vying to fill federal Representative seat vacated by death of Elijah Cummings.
Goals for SP movement in MD 2019-2020
Town Halls, educational events, public outreach, local resolutions: all specific to Congressional Districts of the 3 Congressmen who have not co-sponsored HR 1384 (Hoyer, Trone, Ruppersberger)
Where can people find news about Single Payer in your state and/or join a group?
Maryland Healthcare Coalition https://www.facebook.com/MDPHcoalition/ Also Instagram.
Our Revolution, Maryland (http://ourrevolutionmd.com/) (Hal Ginsberg)
(and other groups listed above and at MDPHCoalition Facebook page)
Healthcare-Now of Maryland http://www.mdsinglepayer.org/