Rural hospitals going bankrupt and closing because of elective surgeries being cancelled.
Medical workers dying because they didn’t have the protective gear they needed when caring for infected patients.
A shortage of ventilators and dialysis machines in hard-hit areas.
Introducing “OPS Office Hours”
With this pandemic highlighting the problems with a fragmented, for-profit health care system, One Payer States is offering “OPS Office Hours” online to help people find out how they can make a difference. We are using Zoom videoconferencing, which also gives phone numbers so people can call in, if they don’t have reliable internet.
How It Works:
- A moderator from OPS Office Hours will welcome people into the “main room,” or “lobby.” This is where people enter when they click on the meeting link, or when they call in. Volunteers may choose to hang out here while awaiting guests.
- Sometimes a scheduled speaker will be talking about something we think will interest everyone. This may be in the main lobby, or in a breakout room.
- Volunteers from OPS, Physicians for a National Health Program, the League of Women Voters, and other allies will be available for group trainings, one-on-one guidance, and small group discussions. They will go into “breakout rooms” to help guests singly, or in groups with similar interests.
- A host will be helping move people into the room with the volunteer who can help them.
- We have a limit of 100 people at a time. There isn’t a limit to how many people can register, but it is first-come, first-served until we fill up.
- If you have a burning question, send us an email and we will try to help. You don’t have to wait until OPS Office Hours. WAITTVT@gmail.com.
- If you really wanted to hear a speaker or a panel discussion, etc., let us know what you missed and we will see whether it was recorded or whether the person might present again. Most of our speakers are passionate about their topics and are glad to talk about it more!
Signing up for OPS Office Hours Events
We want to be responsive to current events, so we won’t always have a lot of time to publicize OPS Office Hours. To get on our email list to hear when they are planned, please send a request to WAITTVT@gmail.com.
Please tell your first and last name, your town and your state. We’d very much appreciate it if you could also state any health care advocacy organizations with which you are involved. It would be a bonus if you could suggest topics you’d like to learn about, or other ways we could help.
If you have a group with a specific interest – or you have a specific interest and are willing to recruit a group for a training, let us know at WAITTVT@gmail.com.
Check out whether we have any public OPS Office Hours currently scheduled. Typically, you will have to register for an event and will get a link for the event by email after registering.
You can check out tips for participating in OPS Zoom events with breakout rooms [Zoom Tips].
Welcome to the team!
OPS Office Hours: Current and Most Recent Meetings.
TUES., JUNE 30, 5 – 8 PM PT/ 8 – 11 PM ET You are invited to an OPS Office Hours Zoom meeting. Register in advance with Zoom for this meeting:…
Next OPS Office Hours: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 4 – 7 PM Pacific Time 7 – 10 PM Eastern Time OPS Office Hours provides presentations and specialized help for advocates…
OPS Office Hours, by One Payer States Tuesday, May 26, 5 – 8 PM PT, 8 – 11 PM ET Speakers: Ed Weisbart MD and David Belk MD Register in…
One Payer States is inviting you to Zoom “Office Hours.” When: May 19, 2020 Time: 1:00 pm Pacific Time (US and Canada) Register in advance for this meeting. REGISTER BELOW…